- 4 lbs. Corned beef brisket, dried-off with paper towels
- 2 qts. Cold water
- 6 Black peppercorns
- 6 Whole allspice
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 lbs. Small red potatoes, washed
- 1 Medium cabbage, coarse outer leaves removed, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Mustard and/or horseradish sauce
Corned Beef & Cabbage
Recipe by Mario Martinez, Rollin’ Oats Corporate Executive Chef
Bring the corned beef brisket to a boil with all ingredients except the cabbage in a large, covered, heavy pot set over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes; uncover and skim off any coagulated proteins that have accumulated on top of the broth. Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until fork-tender. Transfer the brisket to a serving platter, cover with aluminum foil and hold in a warm oven.
Skim off fat from the top of the broth, taste it, and if it is too salty, replace some of the broth with water until the flavor is balanced. Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage wedges and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until both potatoes and cabbage are tender. To serve, slice the corned beef brisket against the grain and surround the cabbage wedges and boiled potatoes. Sprinkle chopped parsley over the vegetables and serve with mustard and/or horseradish sauce.