- 1 lb. Italian sausage (substitute turkey Italian sausage if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 2 cups Yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 1 cup Carrot, diced
- 1 cup Lentils
- 1 can Chicken Broth (15 oz.)
- 1 qt. Water
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes (15 oz.)
- ½ tsp. Thyme leaves, dried
- 2 tsp. Rosemary leaves, fresh & minced
- 2 cups Red bliss potatoes, cubed
- 1 qt. Kale or collards, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Lentil Soup w/ Sausage & Greens
Recipe by Rollin’ Oats C.E.C. Mario Martinez
Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot set over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the Italian sausages and brown on all sides. Cover the pot and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Pierce the sausages and let them drain a bit in the pot, then remove and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin slices.
Put the garlic, onion, celery and carrot in the pot and cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Add the lentils, chicken broth, water, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes and continue cooking the soup, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes. Stir in the sausage and greens and cook another 5-7 minutes; adjust seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.