Recipe by Rollin’ Oats C.E.C. Mario Martinez
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless salmon fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
- The zest of 2 lemons
- 4 large lemons, juiced
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled, trimmed, mashed & minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled, cored & diced
- 1 large cucumber, halved, seeded & diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded & cubed
- ¼ cup non-pareil capers
- ¼ cup pitted green olives, diced
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh celery leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
Using a non-reactive container, cover salmon pieces with the lemon juice and allow to stand 4-6 hours (depending on desired texture), stirring occasionally. Drain (allowing some of the juice to cling to the fish) and combine with all remaining ingredients (mixing well); let stand at least one hour or refrigerate over-night.
Serve on greens, as a filling for tomatoes or avocados, or with crusty bread, pita crisps, or crackers and garnish with lemon wedges.